On February 14, 2017 at approximately 5 a.m. members of the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) Major Crime Unit, assisted by the OPP's Tactics and Rescue Unit (TRU), Emergency Response Team (ERT), Essex County Street Crime Unit (SCU) and uniform patrol members executed search warrants in the Municipality of Leamington.
Warrants were executed at residences on Erie Street South and Montgomery Street in response to a shooting which occurred on Tuesday, February 12 at approximately 10 p.m. when a 29-year-old Leamington man attended Leamington District Memorial Hospital with a suspected gunshot wound to his leg.
On Tuesday, February 14 at approximately 12:30 p.m. a 31-year-old Leamington man was arrested in Leamington by the OPP's Repeat Offender Parole Enforcement unit (ROPE) and is currently in custody awaiting a hearing on charges including:
• Assault With A Weapon
• Unauthorized Possession of A Prohibited or Restricted Weapon
• Use Of A Firearm In The Commission Of An Offence
• Pointing A Firearm
• Possession Of A Weapon For A Dangerous Purpose
• Possession Of A Firearm Contrary To Probation Order
• Uttering Threats To Cause Death Or Bodily Harm x 2
• Failing To Comply With Probation Order x 3
Any person with information regarding this crime should immediately contact the Leamington OPP major crime unit at 519-326-2544.
Should you wish to remain anonymous, you can call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477 (TIPS) where you may be eligible to receive a cash reward of up to $2000.